Wayne County is named for Anthony Wayne, who was a general in the American Revolutionary War, and who lived from 1745 to 1796.
Created: March 26, 1798
Bethany 1800 – 1841
Honesdale 1798 – present
County Courthouse – Honesdale
Location: 925 Court Street / 10th Street
Built: 1876 – 1880
Style: Second Empire and Italianate
Architect: J A Wood of New York, New York
Contractor: A S Phillip of Berwick
Description: The building faces south and is a two story red colored brick and stone structure. The west front has a one story porch with six narrow columns rising to the roof. Behind the porch rises a square red colored brick tower with mansard roof. The north and south wings are recessed. The foundation is stone. The building has a mansard roof. On the east side is a modern four story dark red colored brick addition constructed in 1976. On the south side is the two story red colored brick County Office which was built in 1868. The building is named as the Dimmick Building.
Note: The first courthouse was built in Bethany in 1800. The second courthouse was built by Charles Jamieson in Honesdale in 1843. The cost of construction of the present courthouse was $130,000.
Photos taken 2014 and 2017