Carbon County is named for the coal found in the region.
Created: March 11, 1843
Jim Thorpe 1843 – present
County Courthouse - Jim Thorpe
Location: 4 Broadway / Susquehanna Street
Built: 1893 – 1894
Architect: Lewis S Jacoby of Allentown
Contractor: Herman Riebe
Description: The building faces south and is a two story red-brown colored sandstone structure. On the southeast corner is a four-sided clock which adorns the belfry. French plate illuminated dials, seven feet long, surrounded by ornamental iron frame, provides the time of the day. A 2,122 pound bell, cast in 1844 at McShare’s Bell Foundry of Baltimore, Maryland was installed in the clock tower. Two forty-pound striking hammers tolled the bell. The hipped roof has dormers. An addition was constructed in 1936.
Note: The first courthouse was housed in the Lehigh Coal and Navigation Company’s “Old Store”. The second courthouse was designed by John Root and built by Blay & Root in 1850. The cost of construction of the present courthouse was $125,000.
N – Luzerne County
E – Monroe County
W – Schuykill County
Photos taken 2015