Mifflin County is named for Thomas Mifflin, who was the first Governor of Pennsylvania.
Created: September 19, 1789
Lewistown 1789 – present
County Courthouse – Lewistown
Location: 20 North Wayne Street / West 3rd Street
Built: 1977 – 1978
Architect: Jon Spalding
Contractor: Hicks Construction Company and The McClure Company
Description: The building faces north and is a three story red colored brick structure. The building occupies one city block and faces northeast. The windows are rectangular and a narrow white colored horizontal band runs between the first and second stories. A wide cornice extends along the roofline. In the building center is a small wooden tower. There is a recessed entrance behind six arches.
Old County Courthouse – Lewistown
Location: 1 West Market Street / North Main Street
Built: 1842 – 1843
Style: Classical Revival
Architect: Holman & Simon
Contractor: Holman & Simon
Description: The building faces east and is a two story dark red brick structure. The east front has a high portico supported by four large columns rising to a pediment at the roof line. Above is a large square cream-colored clock tower with clock and small round open cupola at the top. The rear portion of the building was added in 1878. A large chimney juts out of the roof at the rear of the building. The building houses the Historical Society. The building was enlarged in 1878. The architect was Daniel Ziegler and the contractor was Buyers, Guyger & Company.
County District Courthouse – Lewistown
Location: 7 Ort Valley Road / Valley Street
Description: The building faces southwest and is a two story dark creamed colored concrete structure. The main entrance is on the southwest side with small canopy supported by two pillars. The roof is hipped. The building houses the District Court.
N – Centre County
Photos taken 2006, 2011 and 2015