Lycoming County is named for Lycoming Creek which is a tributary of the West Branch of the Susquehanna River.
Created: April 13, 1795
Williamsport 1795 – present
County Courthouse – Williamsport
Location: 48 West 3rd Street / Court Street
Built: 1968 – 1970
Contractor: Lundy Construction Company
Description: The building faces south and is a square four story red colored brick, concrete and glass structure. The first story is all glass and recessed. The rest is covered with a smooth glassy brick and a black colored window treatment that varies at the top to break the monotony. The roof line is flat. There is a newer county office building on the north side also in modern office building style.
Note: The first courthouse was built by John Turk and Edward Gobin in 1802 to 1804 using the plans of the courthouse in Dauphin County, and the plans were used again to build the courthouse in Lehigh County. The previous courthouse was designed by Samuel Sloan and constructed by D S Rissell in 1860. In 1903 an addition was designed by Truman P Reltmeyer. The plans for this courthouse were used to build the courthouse in Northumberland County.
E – Sullivan County
Photos taken 2011