Juniata County is named for the Juniata River which was named for the Iroquoian word “Onavutta” meaning “Standing Stone”.
Created: March 21, 1831
Mifflintown 1831 – present
County Courthouse – Mifflintown
Location: Main Street / Washington Street
Built: 1873 – 1875
Style: Georgian Revival
Architect: L M Simon of Harrisburg
Contractor: Hetrich and Fleisher of Newport
Description: The building faces west and is a two story red colored brick structure. The building sits on the side of a hill. The west front has a large portico with thee arches on the first story and four white colored columns rising from a balcony on the second story to a pediment at the roof line. On the second story are large arched windows with balcony and smaller arched windows around the building. Behind the pediment is a high white colored wood cupola with clock, open octagonal section and gold colored dome at the top.
Photos taken 2011 and 2015