Elk County is named for the elk residing in the region.
Created: April 18, 1843
Ridgway 1843 – present
County Courthouse – Ridgway
Location: 205 Main Street / Broad Street
Built: 1879 – 1880
Style: Second Empire
Architect: J P Marston of Maine
Contractor: J P Marston of Maine
Description: The building faces west and is a two story red colored brick and stone structure. The west front has a projecting center section with two arches framed with grey stone on the first story. Above are two large arched windows with pediment at the top. On the northwest and northeast corners are mansard towers. There are arched windows with stone trim around the upper part. There is stone trim along the corners. Behind the west section is a large clock tower with cupola at the top. On the southwest side is a two story red colored brick annex attached by a hallway and built in 1970. The architect was Rodgers & Frederick of Harrisburg and the contractor was B Manno Corporation of Ridgway. Along the south side of the building is the red colored brick jail.
N – McKean County
E – Cameron County
W – Forest County
Photos taken 2011