Delaware County is named for the Delaware River which is named after the Indians took their name from the State of Delaware which was named after Lord De La Warr an early governor of Virginia.
Created: September 26, 1789
Chester 1789 – 1851
Media 1851 – present
County Courthouse - Media
Location: 201 West Front Street / North Orange Street
Built: 1850 – 1851
Style: Neo-Classical / Classical Revival
Architect: Samuel Sloan
Description: The building faces south and is a three story stone structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds and has white colored Georgia marble. The building has a six column Ionic portico with a clock in the pediment on the south side. The three entrances are recessed with three windows above on the second story. Behind the portico rises a high section with pediment. A projecting cornice runs between the second and third stories. Along the east and west sides are colonades with twelve high columns. The roof line is flat. The building was enlarged in 1871, 1888 and 1913. In 1920, a major remodeling was completed. The architect was Charles W Brazier & Robb and the contract was J E Pennock and A L Pennock. The building was renovated in 1930. The architect was Charles W Basier. An annex was constructed in 1952.
Old County Courthouse - Chester
Location: 412 Avenue of the States / 5th Street
Contractor: Local trades
Description: The building faces northeast and is a two story stone and wood structure. The windows have shutters and the northeast front has a projecting eave between the first and second stories. And smaller eave above the second story. The entrances are on either side of the front. On the west side is a projecting section with arched windows on the first story. On the hipped roof is a square white colored cupola with steep roof. The building was restored in 1920. The architects was Clarence Brazer.
Note: The building is the oldest courthouse in Pennsylvania. The second oldest courthouse is located in Pike County. When Chester County was divided to create Delaware County in 1851, the old Chester County courthouse was then located in Delaware County.
W – Chester County
Photos taken 2017