Cumberland County is named for the County of Cumberland in England.
Created: January 27, 1750
Shippensburg 1750 – 1766
Carlisle 1766 – present
Old County Courthouse – Carlisle
Location: 1 South Courthouse Square – Hanover St / Church Streeet
Built: 1845 – 1846
Architect: Samuel Bryan, Jr.
Contractor: Daniel E Wilt and Samuel Bryan, Jr.
Description: The building faces east and is a two story red colored brick and wood structure. The east front of the rectangular building has a high portico with four sandstone Corinthian columns rising to a pediment. Above the pediment is a high white colored wood clock tower with open columns and gray colored dome at the top. The first story has white colored shutters. The roof is hipped. The building was renovated in 1880 and the contractor was J F Yeingst and J P Brindle. The building was renovated in 1991. The architect was Crabtree, Rohrbaugh and Associates and the contractor was J E Hurley Company, Inc.
Note: The first court was held in Widow Piper’s Tavern in Shippensburg in 1750. The first courthouse was built in 1765 in Carlisle and was destroyed by fire on March 24, 1845.
County Courthouse – Carlisle
Location: 1 North Courthouse Square – Hanover St / High Street
Built: 1960 – 1961
Architect: Edwin Green of Lawrie & Green
Contractor: Joseph J Spera of Spera Construction Company of Camp Hill
Description: The building faces west and is a four story red colored brick and concrete structure. The west front has a central portico with four columns rising to the top of the third story. A horizontal band runs between the third and fourth stories. The roof is hipped. The east wing was designed by John M Kostecky Jr. and Associates and constructed by R S Mowery and Sons, Inc. in 1988.
See: The architect, Lawrie & Green also designed the courthouse in Dauphin County.
N – Perry County
E – Dauphin County
W – Franklin County
Photos taken 2015