Clinton County is named for DeWitt Clinton, who was a Governor of New York and an advocate for the construction of the Erie Canal.
Created: June 21, 1839
Lock Haven 1839 – present
County Courthouse – Lock Haven
Location: 230 East Water Street / North Jay Street
Built: 1867 – 1869
Style: Italianate and Romanesque Revival
Architect: Samuel Sloan and Addison Hutton of Philadelphia
Contractor: Colonel A C Noyes, J F Batcheler and Dr. Samuel Adams.
Description: The building faces north and is a two story white colored brick structure. The northeast corner has a high clock tower over 200 feet with silver colored dome. There is a small tower on the northwest corner with silver colored dome at the top. The first story has arches along the north side and high arched windows divided by vertical square pillars on the second story. An addition was constructed on the south side in 1936. The architect was Russell J Howard of Dubois.
N – Potter County
S – Centre County
photos taken 2011