Clearfield County is named for the fields cleared by logging.
Created: March 26. 1804
Clearfield 1804 – present
County Courthouse – Clearfield
Location: 230 East Market Street / Healy Avenue
Built: 1860 – 1862
Architect: George Thorn of Clearfield
Contractor: George Thorn of Clearfield
Description: The building faces west and is a two story red colored brick structure. The building faces west and was completed in 1862. The west front has a large projecting clock tower with an arch on the first story and rising six stories to a mansard roof. There is a one story porch on either side of the central clock tower with three arches. The roof is sloped with gables. In 1882, an addition was added to the building. The architect was Thorn and Burchfield of Clearfield and the contract was Thorn and Burchfield of Clearfield.
S – Cambria County
Photos taken 2011