Cameron County is named for Simon Cameron, who was Secretary of War and a United States Senator for Pennsylvania.
Surrounding County Courthouses:
N – McKean County
W – Elk County
Created: March 29, 1860
Emporium 1860 – present
County Courthouse – Emporium
Location: 20 East 5th Street / Cherry Street
Built: 1890 – 1891
Architect: A B Wagner
Contractor: J W Kriner
Description: The building faces south and is a three story red colored brick and stone structure. The building sits on the landscaped grounds on the side of a hill in the center of Emporium. The south front has a large square red colored brick tower rising five stories with steep roof and Lady Justice at the top. In the center of the first story are three large stone trimmed arches. At the southwest corner is an octagonal tower. The roof is sloped. On the east side the building extends south from the main building and forms the new addition constructed in 2000 to 2002. The architect was L Robert Kimball & Associates and the contractor was Carl E Swanson & Sons Inc.
See: The architect A B Wagner also designed the similar style courthouse in Sullivan County.
History: The county was created in 1860 and Emporium was selected as the county seat. The first meeting of commissioners was held in the small frame schoolhouse in 1861. In 1862, the store house at Shippen was rented. In 1863, the first courthouse was built. The second and present courthouse was constructed in 1890 to 1891.
County Courthouse - Emporium
Photos taken 2011