Cambria County is named for Cambria Township which was named for the ancient name of Wales, Great Britain.
Created: March 26, 1804
Ebensburg 1804 – present
County Courthouse – Ebensburg
Location: 200 South Center Street / East Lloyd Street
Built: 1880 – 1882
Style: French Second Empire
Architect: Milton Earl Beebe of Buffalo, New York
Contractor: Henry Shank
Description: The building faces west and is a three story red colored brick and stone structure. The building has a central square tower with double arched entrance on the first story. On either side of the central section are large square towers with steep mansard roofs. In 1923, the building was completely rebuilt with north, south and east wings and the bell tower was removed. The building has extensive stone trim for story separation, window decoration, and quoins at the corners.
County District Courthouse – Ebensburg
Location: 401 Candlelight Drive / South Center Street
Built: 1999 – 2001
Architect: E Pawlowski Associates
Contractor: Major Builders
Description: The building faces southeast and is a three story cream colored concrete structure. The building is located on spacious grounds and is “L” shaped. The glass paneled entrance is located at the junction of the two story west wing and the three story north wing. Horizontal bands run between the stories and below the flat room line. The building houses the District Court.
County District Courthouse – Cresson
Location: 730 Portage Road / Admiral Peary Highway
Description: The building faces west and is a one story red colored brick structure. The rectangular building is located on spacious grounds. The front has a central white coloured wood framed entrance. The roof is hipped. The building houses the District Court.
S – Somerset County
Photos taken 2006 and 2015