Bradford County is named for William Bradford, who was a lawyer and judge from Philadelphia and the second United States Attorney General.
Created: February 21, 1810
Towanda 1810 – present
Troy 1894 – 1916
County Courthouse – Towanda
Location: 101 Main Street / Poplar Street
Built: 1896 – 1897
Style: Neo-Classical Renaissance Revival
Architect: Israel Lehman & Theodore Schmitt of Cleveland, Ohio
Contractor: Thomas Bradley of Corning, New York
Description: The building faces west and is a four story gray colored sandstone structure. The building forms a crucifix shape with rusticated stonework. The west front has three square openings on the first story and three arched windows on the second story with wide pediment above. On the center of the roof is a large green colored octagonal dome with the Statue of Lady Justice at the top. On the east side is the old red colored brick courthouse annex which was built in 1857 and used until 1974.
Note: The courthouse was originally built in 1848 as the courthouse annex and was remodeled in 1896.The cost of construction of the present courthouse was $113,866.
Old County Courthouse – Troy
Location: 101 East Main Street / Courthouse Square
Built: 1894 – 1895
Architect: Culver & Hudson
Contractor: Lawrence Brothers.
Description: The building faces west and is a two story red colored brick structure. The building is known as the Van Dyne Civic Building and served as the western courthouse until 1916. The building is located on landscaped grounds. At each corner is a round tower with conical roof. The west front has a central arched entrance with a large window on the second story. At the top is a large clock with peaked gable end. Each side of the roof has a raised gable end. The roof is hipped. The building is known as the Van Dyne Civic Building. The building now serves as a bank.
W – Tioga County
Photos taken 2011 and 2017