Wheeler County is named for Henry H Wheeler, who was the operator of the first mail stage line from The Dalles to Canyon City.
Created: February 17, 1899
Fossil 1899 – present
County Courthouse – Fossil
Location: 701 Adams Street / West 2nd Street
Built: 1900 – 1901
Architect: Charles H Burggraf of Salem
Contractor: A F Peterson of Corvallis
Description: The building faces east and is a two story red colored brick structure. The building is located on spacious landscaped grounds. The east front has an arched entrance on the south corner and an octagonal tower with steep roof on the north corner. On the south side is a high square tower with steep roof. The foundation is stone.
See: The architect, Charles H Burggraf of Salem and the contractor , A F Peterson of Corvallis designed and constructed the courthouse in Sherman County.
See: National Register of Historic Places – Wheeler County Courthouse
N – Gilliam County
S – Crook County
Photos taken 2012