Wasco County

US States / O-U / Oregon / Wasco County
351O12

Wasco County is named for the Wasco ( Wascopam ) Native American tribe.

 

Created:  January 11, 1854

County Seat: 

The Dalles 1854 – present

 

County Courthouse – The Dalles

 

Location:  511 Washington Street / East 6th Street

Built:  1913 – 1914

Style:  Classical Revival

Architect:  Charles J Crandall

Contractor:  S N Arnold and A A  Lambert

 

Description:  The building  faces southeast and is a two story gray colored stone structure. The building sits on a slope. The southeast front has a large portico supported by four high Corinithian columns rising to a wide header at the roof line. The recessed entrance has a cornice above the doorway and a large window above on the second story. There is a wide cornice running below the roof line. The doors and window frames came fully assembled from the Doernbecker Factory in Portland. The interior halls have marble.

 

Note:  S N Arnold constructed the foundation and walls for $41,764 and A A Lambert completed construction at a cost of $53,884.  G M Sutherland Company of Walla Walla did the heating, Pauley Jail Building Company of St. Louis, Missouri supplied the jail equipment and Boyajohn-Arnold completed the interior. The total cost of construction was $159,000.

 

Old County Courthouse – The Dalles

 

0802wc16

 

Location:  404 West 3rd Street /  Union Street

Built:  1883 – 1884

Style:  Classical Revival

Architect:  Warren Haywood Williams

Contractor:  N J Blagen

 

Description:  The building  faces south and a two story red colored brick structure. The southwest front has a projecting center section with central entrance on the first story. Above, rises a clock tower. Along the east side are two projecting sections with pediments at the top. The windows are vertical and arched. The building is now the Masonic Temple and a restaurant.

 

 

Old County Courthouse – The Dalles

 

0811wc16

 

Location:  410 West 2nd Place / Pentland Street

Built:  1858 – 1858

Style:  Federal

Architect:  W C Wallace

Contractor:  W C Wallace

 

Description:  The building  faces northeast and is a two story wood frame structure. The building was originally located at Court Street and 3rd Street. The northeast front has a porch on the first story with central entrance. Stair ascend the west side. The roof is hipped. Most of the lumber came from the J H Mosier mill at Mosier. The building served as the courthouse from 1859 to 1882 when it became the City Hall until 1907.

 

Courthouses: 

N – Klickitat County, Washington

E – Sherman County, Gilliam County and Wheeler County

S – Jefferson County

W – Marion CountyClackamas County and Hood River County

 

 

 

352o12

 

 

355o12

 

 

354o12

 

 

356o12

 

 

0789wc16

 

 

0791wc16

 

 

0792wc16

 

 

0793wc16

 

 

0794wc16

 

 

0795wc16

 

 

0796wc16

 

 

0797wc16

 

 

0798wc16

 

 

0799wc16

 

 

357o12

 

 

0803wc16

 

 

0801wc16

 

 

0804wc16

 

 

0806wc16

 

 

0807wc16

 

 

0808wc16

 

 

0812wc16

 

 

0813wc16

 

 

0814wc16

 

 

0816wc16

Photos taken 2012 and 2016