Polk County is named for James Knox Polk, who was the eleventh President of the United States of America.
Created: December 22, 1845
Cynthian 1845 – 1851
Dallas 1851 – present
County Courthouse – Dallas
Location: 850 Main Street / SE Court Street
Built: 1898 – 1899
Architect: Delod D Neer of Portland
Contractor: Delod D Neer of Portland
Description: The building faces west and is is a two story sandstone structure. The building is located on spacious landscaped grounds and has a projecting center section with arched entrances on the north and south sides. On the north is a high square clock tower with red colored sloped roof. There is a wide eave along the sloped red colored roof. On the east side is a three story annex constructed in 1965 to 1966. The contractor was Robert D Morrow. The building was expanded in 1989.
Note: The first courthouse was built in Cynthian in 1851. The second courthouse was built in Dallas in 1852 which was destroyed by fire in 1898.
N – Yamhill County
E – Marion County
Photos taken 2012 and 2016