Morrow County is named for Jackson L Morrow, who was an early settler in the county.
Created: February 16, 1885
Heppnes 1885 – present
County Courthouse – Heppner
Location: 100 Court Street / East May Street
Built: 1902 – 1903
Style: American Renaissance
Architect: Edgar M Lazarus
Contractor: J K Carr ( superintendent )
Description: The building faces west and is a two story stone structure. The building sits on a hill overlooking the city center. The building is constructed with blue basalt which was quarried locally on the Osmin Ranch in Balm Fork Canyon. The trim rock is believed to have come from the Baker region in Eastern Oregon. The west front has a projecting center section with arched entrance on the first story. There are two statues above. Behind, rises a four story square clock tower with open cupola and clock at the top. The sloped roof has white colored dormers.
Note: A number of contracts totaling $41,725 were awarded: Monterastelli Brothers and Frank Duprat ( stone work ), R C Wills ( carpentry and plastering ) J E Davis ( steel vault ), Pacific Electric Company ( electric ), Gilliam & Bisbee ( plumbing ), Gardner & Kendall ( heating ) and Art Metal construction ( fixtures ).
See: National Register of Historic Places – Morrow County Courthouse
E – Umatilla County
S – Grant County
Photos taken 2012