Marion County is named for Francis Marion, who was a general in the American Revolutionary War and who lived from 1732 to 1795.
Created: February 17, 1887
Salem 1887 – present
County Courthouse – Salem
Location: 100 High Street / State Street
Built: 1952 – 1954
Architect: Pietro Belluschi and Skidmore, Owings and Merrill of Portland
Contractor: Viesko & Post
Description: The building faces west and is a five story concrete, marble and glass structure. The west front has a porch on the first story supported by concrete pillars and with a recessed glass entrance. The windows are horizontal. There is a north and south one story wing with a second story smaller wing adjoining the main building. The roof line is flat. A parking structure was built in 1978. The contractor was Pence-Kelly Construction, Inc.of Salem.
Note: The previous courthouse was designed by William W Piper and Elwood M Burton and constructed by Wilbur E Boothbay in 1873.
County Administration – Salem
Location: 555 Court Street / High Street
Built: 1999 – 2000
Architect: Arbuckle Costic Architects Inc. of Salem
Contractor: Pence/Kelly Construction, Inc. of Salem
Description: The building faces south and is a five story red colored brick structure. The building is called the Courthouse Square Transit Mall. The first story has recessed walls. The central entrance has a recessed section with large glass sections on either side. The roof line is flat. The Project Manager was Melvin Mark Development Company.
See: Located in the county is the Oregon Supreme Court.
S – Linn County
Photos taken 2012 and 2015