Linn County is named for Lewis F Linn, who was a United States Senator from Missouri and the author of the Donation Land Act which provided free land to settlers in the West.
Created: December 28, 1847
Brownsville 1847 – 1851
Albany 1851 – present
County Courthouse – Albany
Location: 300 4th Avenue / Broadalbion Street SW
Built: 1938 – 1940
Style: Neo-Classical Revival
Architect: Tourtellotte and Phillips
Contractor: Stien Brothers and George H Buckler Company
Description: The building faces north and is a two story concrete structure. The building is located on spacious landscaped grounds in the city center. The north front has a large central porch with four high columns rising to a wide header with clock at the top. There are vertical dividers between the windows on the first and second stories. The roof line is flat. On the west side is an addition.
Note: The Spaulding school in Brownsville served as the first courthouse. The second courthouse was built in Albany by Monteith Brothers in 1853 but was destroyed by fire in 1861. A third courthouse was built in 1865 and remodeled in 1890 and 1899. The architect was Charles Buggraf.
N – Marion County
S – Lane County
Picture of Third Courthouse
Photos taken 2012 and 2015