Lane County is named for Joseph Lane, who was the first Governor of the Oregon Territory.
Created: January 29, 1851
County Courthouse – Eugene
Location: 125 East 8th Street / Oak Street
Built: 1959 – 1960
Architect: Robert Wilmsen and Charles Walker Endicott of Wilmesen & Endicott
Contractor: Gale M Roberts Company
Description: The building faces south.and is a three story concrete and glass structure. The rectangular building has narrow vertical dividers and latticework on each story with recessed exterior walls and windows. The base of the building is flagstone. The roof line is flat. The building is named as the Lawrence T Harris Hall and is located at the northwest corner of the County Government Complex and is connected on the south side and east side to the Public Services Building. On the south side is an open plaza names as the Wayne Morse Free Speech Terrance.
Note: The first courthouse was built in 1855 at a cost of $8,500. The previous courthouse was designed by Delos D Neer and constructed by L N Rosey in 1898 at a cost of $50,000. The building was razed in 1959. The cost of construction of the present courthouse was 2,146,350.
County Administration – Eugene
Location: 125 East 8th Street / Pearl Street
Built: 1974 – 1976
Architect: Unthank, Seder Poticha
Contractor: Simpson Construction Management
Description: The building faces south and is a three story concrete and glass structure. The building has open hallways and atriums rising to the roof. The building is located on the east side of the County Government Complex and is named as the Lane County Public Services Building. On the southwest side is an open plaza names as the Wayne Morse Free Speech Terrance.
S – Douglas County
W – Pacific Ocean
Photos taken 2015