Curry County is named for George Law Curry, who was a governor of the Oregon Territory.
Created: December 18, 1855
Port Orford 1855 – 1859
Ellensburg ( Gold Beach ) 1859 – 1977
Gold Beach 1877 – present
County Courthouse – Gold Beach
Location: 29821 Ellensburg Avenue / Moore Street
Built: 1956 – 1958
Architect: Claud N Freeman and Raymond O Marks of Portland
Contractor: Harold H Grappe
Description: The building faces northwest and is a three story buff colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the city center. The northwest front of the rectangular has a projecting center section with entrance on the first story and glass panels above. The roof line is flat. An addition was constructed on the west side in 1978.
Note: The first meeting of the commissioners was held in the home of Fred Smith in 1856. In 1857, a house was rented from John Parish. In 1860, a building was rented from Simon Rothenheim in Ellensburg. The first courthouse was designed by W S Winsor and John Gauntlett and built by J B Wilson and J L Lake in 1873. The building was sold, moved across the street and destroyed by fire in 1920. The previous courthouse was built by Frank Bauer and George Stafford in 1912. The cost of construction was $5,266. The cost of construction of the present courthouse was $315,660.
E – Josephine County
S – Del Norte County, California
Photos taken 2015