Columbia County

US States / O-U / Oregon / Columbia County
605O12

Columbia County is named for the Columbia River, which is named after Christopher Columbus.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Wahkiakum County, Washington and Cowlitz County, Washington

E – Cowlitz County, Washington and Clark County, Washington

S – Multnomah County and  Washington County 

W – Clatsop County

 

Created:  January 16, 1845                    Map of Oregon highlighting Columbia County

County Seat: 

Milton             1845 – 1857

Saint Helens  1857 – present

 

County Courthouse – Saint Helens

 

Location:  230 Strand Street / Plaza Square

Built:  1906 – 1907

Style:  Neo-Classical Revival

Architect:  Hendricks & Tobey

Contractor:  Fred A. Erixon of Albany

 

Description:  The building  faces west and is a two story rock, stone and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Saint Helens along the west bank of the Columbia River and on the east side, the building overlooks the Columbia River. Constructed with basalt lava rock, the building forms an “H” shape with porticoes on the center of the west and east sides. Each portico has four white colored columns rising to a balcony on the second story. There is a wide cornice along the roof line. On the center of the building is a large square white colored bell tower with steep roof and clock. The bell tower was added in 1911. The courtroom is located on the second story.

 

See:  National Register of Historic Places – St Helens Downtown Historic District

 

County Courthouse Annex – Saint Helens

 

614o12

 

Location: 230 Strand Street / Plaza Square

Built:  1968 – 1969

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Ragnar C Qvale & Associates

Contractor:  Teeples & Thatcher.

 

Description:  The building  faces west and is a three story concrete and glass structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Saint Helens along the west bank of the Columbia River and on the east side, the building overlooks the Columbia River. The west side has no windows and the east side has windows with concrete vertical dividers. The roof line is flat. The building is connected to the courthouse on the south side.

 

History:  The county was created in 1845 and Milton was selected as the county seat. The first court met in Milton in 1845 but no courthouse was built. The county seat moved to Saint Helens in 1857. The first courthouse was a small 15 foot by 20 foot structure on the Strand in 1857. The county rented office premises and in 1870 purchased a residence-store as the second courthouse. The third and present courthouse was constructed in 1906 to 1907 at a cost of $29,675. In 1968 to 1969 a modern Courthouse Annex was constructed.

 

 

609o12

County Courthouse – Saint Helens

 

 

606o12

 

 

607o12

 

 

608o12

 

 

610o12

 

 

613o12

County Courthouse Annex – Saint Helens

 

 

611o12

 

 

615o12

 

 

616o12

Photos taken 2012