Clatsop County is named for the Native American Clatsop tribe, who lived along the Pacific Ocean coast.
Created: July 22, 1844
Lexington 1844 – 1854
Astoria 1854 – present
County Courthouse – Astoria
Location: 749 Commerce Street / 8th Street
Built: 1904 – 1907
Style: Neo-Classical Revival
Architect: Edgar M Lazarus of Portland
Contractor: Hastie & Dougan of Seattle
Description: The building faces north and is a two story buff colored brick and stone structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the city center. The north front has a framed entrance with a white colored column on either side. There are three windows above the entrance on the second story and above that is a pediment with decoration. A wide cornice runs below the flat roof line. The base of the building is dark stone.
E – Columbia County
S – Tillamook County
W – Pacific Ocean
Photos taken 2012 and 2016