Benton County is named for Thomas Hart Benton, who was a United States Senator and who advocated for the control of the Oregon Country by the United States.
Created: December 23, 1847
Corvallis 1851 – present
County Courthouse – Corvallis
Location: 120 NW 4th Street / NW Monroe Avenue
Built: 1888 – 1889
Style: High Victorian Italianate
Architect: Delos D Near of Portland
Contractor: Thomas Mann and John Robertson of Portland
Description: The building faces east and is a three story white colored stuccoed brick and native stone structure. The building is located on spacious landscaped grounds in the city center.The east front has a one story portico with arched entrance on the first story. Behind rises a five story square clock tower with a statue of Justice, sloped red colored roof and with a clock at the top. The foundation is rusticated ashlar gray colored granite. The building has a hipped red colored roof. The building is the oldest courthouse in Oregon which is still used as a courthouse. The building was renovated in 1976.
Note: The cost for the construction of the present courthouse was $70,000. Nineteen large stones were procured in San Francisco and the sand for the exterior stucco and interior plastering was shipped from Lewisville, Washington. The Howard tower clock was installed after the building was finished. Local labor and materials were used.
See: National Register of Historic Places – Benton County Courthouse
N – Polk County
E – Linn County
S – Lane County
W – Lincoln County
Photos taken 2012 and 2015