Woods County is named for Sam Wood, who was a populist from the State of Kansas.
Created: November 6, 1893
Cloud Chief 1893 – 1899
Alva 1899 – present
County Courthouse – Alva
Location: 407 Government Street / Flynn Street
Built: 1954 – 1956
Architect: Joe M Mason and Edger B Wilson
Contractor: Charles T Hughes Construction Company
Description: The building faces north and is a one story buff colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on spacious landscaped grounds in the center of the city. The west wing is buff colored brick and the north-south east wing is stone. The entrance is a glass section where the wings join. The roof line is flat.
Note: The previous courthouse was designed by H H Neuddart and constructed by Woods County Building and Investment Company in 1904. The building was demolished and replaced by the present courthouse.
Picture 1904 Courthouse
Photos taken 2010