Rogers County

US States / O-U / Oklahoma / Rogers County
Rogers

Rogers County is named for Clem V Rogers, who was a member of the Oklahoma Constitutional Convention and father of Will Rogers.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Nowata County and Craig County

E – Craig County and Mayes County

S – Wagoner County

W – Tulsa County and Washington County

 

Created:  July 16, 1907                          Map of Oklahoma highlighting Rogers County

County Seat:

Claremore  1907 – present

 

Former County Courthouse – Claremore  ( demolished )

 

Location:  219 South Missouri Avenue / West 1st Street

Built:  1937 – 1938

Style:  Moderne

Architect:  Blumenaur & Associates

Contractor:  Works Project Administration

 

Description:  The building faced east and was a three story buff colored brick and concrete structure. The building was located on landscaped grounds in the center of Claremore on the west side of the new courthouse. The original building was set back from South Missouri Avenue with a central entrance and a center section rising three stories. With the 1981 additions, the east front became a series different square shaped additions concealing the original building. The roof line was flat. The building was  a  Works Project Administration project. The building was enlarged in 1981. The architect was Byron D Salsman of Tulsa and the contractor was Descon Construction Company of Harrison, Arkansas.

 

County Courthouse – Claremore 

 

Location:  200 South Lynn Riggs Boulevard / West 1st Street

Built:  2010 – 2012

Style:  Modern

Architect:  BKL Incorporated of Tulsa

Contractor:  Flint Construction Company

 

Description:  The building faces west and is a four story red colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Claremore. The west front has a projecting central section with glass and column façade rising to a peak with clock. The main section of the building is recessed with red colored brick wall extending from the north and south ends. The first story is limestone with square shaped windows. Lower wings are located on the north and south sides. In the interior is a large lobby. The building houses the County District Court of the 12th Judicial District. 

 

See:  The 12th Judicial District includes Mayes County and Rogers County.

 

History:  The first court house for the district was located at Kephart Springs, about six miles northeast of Claremore. The Cherokee Courthouse was a framed structure and was moved to Claremore about 1888 and served as a “temple of justice” until the Cherokee courts were abolished. In 1903, the court was housed on the second story of the Eaton Store (Hardware and Grocery) on the northeast corner of Missouri Avenue and West 3rd Street (Will Rogers Avenue). The county was created in 1907 and Claremore was selected as the county seat. The first courthouse was the continued use of the Eaton Store. In 1916, the Claremore Athletic Association Building, a four story red colored brick structure built in 1908 on the north side of West 1st Street between South Missouri Avenue and South Cherokee Avenue became the second courthouse. The third courthouse was constructed in 1937 to 1938 at the northwest corner of South Missouri Avenue and West 1st Street. and was demolished in 2013. The fourth and present courthouse was constructed in 2010 to 2012 at a cost of $18,000,000.

 

 

0732t10

Former County Courthouse - Claremore 

 

 

0733t10

 

 

0734t10

 

 

0735t10

 

 

0736t10

 

 

0737t10

 

 

0738t10

Former County Courthouse Annex – Claremore

 

 

0725t10

Will Rogers Memorial Museum – Claremore

 

 

0728t10

 

 

0721t10

Photos taken 2010