Nowata County is named for Nowata, which is the county seat and is a Delaware Native American word meaning “welcome” or a sign posted that there was no water at a local spring.
Created: July 16, 1907
Nowata 1907 – present
County Courthouse – Nowata
Location: 229 North Maple Street / East Delaware Avenue
Built: 1913 – 1914
Style: Late 19th Century and 20th Century Revival
Architect: J W Roberts
Contractor: C C Cleeper Construction Company
Description: The building faces east and is a two story red colored brick and stone structure. The east front has a portico with two columns rising to the top of the second story with a balcony on the second story and a small pediment above. There is a small cupola on the center of the roof. The base of the building is course stone. There is a red colored tile hipped roof.
Note: The cost of construction of the courthouse was $65,000. The only other courthouse with a red colored tile roof is in Grant County.
See: National Register of Historic Places – Nowata County Courthouse
E – Craig County
S – Rogers County
Photos taken 2010