Marshall County

US States / O-U / Oklahoma / Marshall County
Marshall

Marshall County is named for the maiden name of a member of the mother of George A Henshaw, who was a delegate to the Oklahoma Constitutional Convention.

 

Created:  July 16, 1907

County Seat:

Madill  1907 – present

 

County Courthouse – Madill 

 

Location:  1 Courthouse Square / Main Street

Built:  1914 – 1915

Style:  Classical Revival

Architect:  Jewell Hicks

Contractor:  Rooney & Culp

 

Description:  The building faces south and is a three story gray colored stone and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of the city. The building is approximately square, faced with stone blocks and all four sides are identical. The central portion of each side is slightly recessed and has five window bays separated by Ionic columns rising from above the first story to the frieze. The windows are modern, with metal frames. Large pilasters define the corners of the building. The doorways are centered and recessed on each side of the courthouse. A cornice runs below the flat roof line.

 

See: The architect, Jewell Hicks, also designed the courthouses  in Bryan County and Garvin County.

 

See:  National Register of Historic Places – Marshall County Courthouse

 

Courthouses: 

N – Johnston County 

E – Bryan County

S – Grayson County, Texas

W – Love County and Carter County

 

 

 

 

1400cs10

County Courthouse

 

 

1402cs10

 

 

1404cs10

 

 

1403cs10

 

 

1405cs10

 

 

1407cs10

Photos taken 2010