Kiowa County is named for the Kiowa Native American tribe who resided in the region.
Created: July 16, 1907
Hobart 1907 – present
County Courthouse – Hobart
Location: 316 South Main Street / East 3rd Street
Built: 1904 – 1905
Style: Neo-Classical and Second Empire
Architect: James Riely Gordon of San Antonio, Texas
Contractor: J W Stokes Construction Company
Description: The building faces west and is a two story dark red colored brick and stone structure. The building is located on spacious landcaped grounds. The west front has a projecting center section with entrance on the first story. The building has a basement and on the ground floor, a rusticated facade. Each side of the building has a large, central arched window. These windows are approximately 20 feet high and have a stone, eyebrow-like heading. A small, round window is located on either side of the arched window. All windows have wooden sashes, painted green. At the top is a large stone eagle. The north and south side sections are lower. A wide cornice runs below the flat roof line. The eastern section of the building was constructed shortly after the main building. The building was remodeled in 1972 after a fire destroyed the second story. The architect was Hudgins Thompson Ball & Associates Inc. and the contractor was Vaughin Construction Company Inc.
See: The architect James Riely Gordon of San Antonio, Texas
See: National Register of Historic Places – Kiowa County Courthouse
County Administration – Hobart
Location: 300 South Main Street / East 3rd Street
Description: The building faces west and is a two story red colored structure. The rectangular building has a central glass entrance framed by concrete on the west front. The roof line is flat. The building is located on the north side of the courthouse. The building was demolished in 2011.
Photos taken 2006 and 2016