Kingfisher County is named for the bird “kingfisher” or for King David Fisher, who was an early settler in the area.
Created: May 2, 1890
Kingfisher 1890 – present
County Courthouse – Kingfisher
Location: 101 South Main Street / East Broadway Avenue
Built: 1959 – 1960
Architect: Noftsger-Lawrence and Associates of Oklahoma City
Contractor: Watonga Construction
Description: The building faces west and is a one story buff colored brick, concrete and glass structure. The west front has a central entrance with four peaked roofs above the doorway. On the south side the walls are buff colored brick with a black stone section near the entrance. On the north side the walls are white colored concrete. On the centre of the roof is a raised skylight with a series of peaked roofs and glass sides.
Note: The previous courthouse was designed by J H Bennett and constructed by C E Sockler Construction Company in 1901 to 1902.
E – Logan County
S – Canadian County
W – Blaine County
Photos taken 2010