Garfield County

US States / O-U / Oklahoma / Garfield County
Garfield

Garfield County is named for James Abram Garfield, who was President of the United States in 1881 when he was assassinated.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Grant County

E – Noble County 

S – Logan County and Kingfisher County

W – Mayor County and Alfalfa County

 

Created:  November 6, 1893                  Map of Oklahoma highlighting Garfield County

County Seat:

Enid  1893 – present

 

County Courthouse – Enid 

 

Location:  114 West Broadway Avenue / North Grand Avenue

Built:  1934 – 1935

Style:  Art Deco

Architect:  Hawk and Parr

Contractor:  Reinhart & Donovan Company

 

Description: The building faces south and is a five story white colored faced limestone and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Enid. The building has a raised basement. The central portion of the front facade has a “false front” extending approximately twelve feet above the rest of the roof line. The front facade is slightly stepped, forming three distinct sections. There are east and west wings. On the roof center is a third story section. On the north side is a high detached clock tower built in 1988. In the interior, the floors are granite and the walls are stucco. There are two murals on the first story and two wall murals on the second story painted by Ruth Munro Augur. The courtrooms are located on the second story. The jail facilities are on the fourth and fifth stories. The building houses the County District Court of the 4th Judicial District. 

 

Note:  The Broadway Tower at 100 East Broadway is a fourteen story Art Deco style structure constructed in 1931 and which served as temporary courthouse from 1932 to 1936. The architect was George Ernst von Blumenauer of Enid and Laton, Hicks and Forsythe of Oklahoma City and the contractor was McMillen and Shelton Construction Company.

 

See:  National Register of Historic Places – Garfield County Courthouse

 

See:  The 4th Judicial District includes Alfalfa CountyBlaine CountyDewey CountyGrant County, Kingfisher County, Major CountyWoods County and Woodward County.    

 

History:  The county was created in 1893 and Enid was selected as the county seat. The first courthouse was a two story brick structure built in 1895 to 1896. The second courthouse was a two story granite and Indiana stone structure located in the center of Broadway, designed by A A Crowell and built by A O Campbell Construction Company in 1907. The courthouse was destroyed by fire in 1931. From 1931 to 1936, the county operated out of an agricultural building, and later the Broadway Tower. The third and present courthouse was constructed in 1934 to 1935 at a cost of $207,575.

 

 

0602t10

County Courthouse – Enid

 

 

0601t10

 

 

0600t10

 

 

0604t10

 

 

0605t10

 

 

0606t10

 

 

0607t10

 

 

0608t10

 

 

0610t10

 

 

0609t10

 

 

0614t10

Statue – Keeper of the Plains

Photos taken 2010