Dewey County

US States / O-U / Oklahoma / Dewey County
Dewey

Dewey County is named for George Dewey, who was an Admiral in the United States Navy, or was named from the original county “D” during the land rush of 1892 and changed in 1907.

 

Created:  May 2, 1892

County Seat:

Taloga  1907 – present

 

Former County Courthouse – Taloga 

 

Location:  SW – Broadway & West Rublee Street

Built:  1925 – 1926

Style:  Neo-Classical

Architect:  Maurice Jayne

Contractor:  Kreipke-Schafer Company

 

Description: The building faced east and was a two story white colored brick structure. The east front had a small portico on the first story. A cornice ran below the flat roof line. There was brown colored stone trim on the corners. This building will be demolished in 2010 when the new courthouse was constructed on the east side.

 

See: The architect, Maurice Jayne, designed the courthouses in Harper County and Texas County.

 

County Courthouse – Taloga 

 

0564nm16

 

Location:  SW – Broadway & West Rublee Street

Built:  2009 – 2910

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Architects in Partnership of Norman

Contractor:  Joe D Hall of Elk City

 

Description: The building faces east and is a one story frame structure. The east front has a raised entrance portico in the center. The building has square windows and the north side has a wing extending west. The roof is hipped.

 

Courthouses: 

N – Woodward County and Major County

E – Blaine County 

S – Custer County

W – Roger Mills County and Ellis County 

 

 

 

1809cs10

 

 

1808cs10

 

 

1810cs10

 

 

0566nm16

 

 

0567nm16

 

 

0569nm16

 

 

0570nm16

 

 

0571nm16

 

 

0572nm16

 

 

0573nm16

 

 

0574nm16

 

 

1803cs10

 

 

1804cs10

 

 

1800cs10

 

 

1799cs10

 

 

1801cs10

 

 

1802cs10

Photos taken 2006, 2010 and 2016