Delaware County

US States / O-U / Oklahoma / Delaware County
Delaware

Delaware County is named for the Delaware Native Americans who resettled in what was then Indian Territory in the 1830’s and who named after Lord De La Warr an early governor of Virginia.

 

Created:  July 16, 1907

County Seat:

Grove Springs  1907 – 1911

Jay                   1911 – present

 

County Courthouse – Jay

 

Location:  327 North 5th Street / West Krause Street

Built:  1941 – 1942

Style:  Art Deco

Architect:  Walter T Vahlberg of Oklahoma City

Contractor:  Works Project Administration using local trades

 

Description: The building faces east and is a two story gray native stone and concrete structure. The building is located on spacious landscaped grounds in the center of Jay. The east front has a central entrance with a concrete canopy. The center section rises two stories with large windows and the north and south wings are one story. The building was expanded in 1999 to 2001 with an addition on the west side. The architect was GH2 Gralla Architects of Tulsa and the contractor was Lowery & Hemphil Construction Company, Inc.

 

Creekmore Courthouse – Jay

 

0765t10

 

Location:  SW – North 4th Street / West Broadway

Built:  1909 – 1910

Style:  Federal

Architect:  William J Creekmore

Contractor:  Wlliam J Creekmore

 

Description: The building faces east and is a two story gray colored concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds to the north of the center of Jay. Court records were moved to the building in 1912 and then moved to the wood courthouse in Old Jay. After the Old Jay courthouse burned on May 10, 1913, the records were returned until the new third courthouse was built in 1914.

 

 

Note:  The first courthouse in 1907 was the second floor of the Jones-Hampton General store in Grove. The second wood courthouse was built in Jay in 1908 and burned on May 10, 1913. William J Creekmore had constructed a two story concrete courthouse north of Jay. From 1913 to 1914, the court records moved five times among Grove, Jay and the Creekmore courthouse. In 1914, a native limestone courthouse was constructed Jay as the third courthouse. In 1920, a second story was added and in 1925, a two story annex was constructed. In 1936, the south wing was added and in 1941, the building burned except for the south wing. In 1941, the fourth and present courthouse was constructed.

  

Courthouses: 

N – Ottawa County

E – McDonald County, Missouri and  Benton County, Arkansas  

S – Adair County and  Cherokee County

W – Mayes County and Craig County

 

 

 

0756t10

 

 

0757t10

 

 

0758t10

 

 

0759t10

 

 

0760t10

 

 

0763t10

 

 

0762t10

 

 

0766t10

Creekmore Courthouse – Jay

Photos taken 2010