Cleveland County is named for Grover Cleveland, who was the President of the United States.
Created: May 2, 1890
Norman 1890 – present
County Courthouse – Norman
Location: 200 South Peters Avenue / Comanche Street
Built: 1939 – 1940
Style: Art Deco
Architect: Walter T Vahlberg of Oklahoma City
Contractor: Tankersley Construction
Description: The building faces northeast and is a three story limestone and concrete structure. The northeast front has stone framing the central entrance which has steel doors. Vertical pilasters divide the widows. The roof line is flat. In 1979 to 1980, a large addition was constructed on the west side. The architect was Kaighen Associates and the contractor was Barbour & Short.
Note: The previous courthouse was designed by Solomon A Layton and constructed by L F Lee Construction Company in 1906.
N – Oklahoma County
S – McClain County
Photos taken 2009