Cherokee County is named for the Cherokee Native American Nation.
Created: July 16, 1907
Tahlequah 1901 – present
County Courthouse – Tahlequah
Location: 213 West Delaware Street / South Cherokee Avenue
Built: 1961 – 1962
Description: The building faces north and is a two story light red colored brick and concrete structure. The north front has a central entrance. A wide white band follows the roof line. The building was formerly a hospital and the city offices are on the lower level. The building was remodeled in 1978 for use as a Court House and City Hall. The architect was Ammerman – Butler & Thomas Inc. and the contractor was SE-CO Construction Company.
Old County Courthouse – Tahlequah
Location: SE – Delaware Street / S. Muskogee Avenue
Built: 1867 – 1869
Architect: C W Goodlander
Contractor: James S Price
Description: The building faces west and is a two story dark red colored brick structure. The west front has a small enclosed porch on the first story. The windows are arched. On each side of the roof is a wide pediment at the roof line. The roof is hipped. The building was damaged by fire in 1928.
Note: This building, which today acts as the Cherokee National Capitol, as it was originally intended to be, once acted as the Cherokee County Courthouse from 1907 ( when Oklahoma became a state ) to 1979 when the current courthouse replaced it. The building was erected in 1869 as the Cherokee Capitol. When it was still a county courthouse it was damaged in 1928 and the copula on top was removed. Ever since the county turned this structure back into the hands of the Cherokee Nation in 1979, it has functioned as the headquarters for the Cherokee court system and the election board.
E – Adair County
S – Sequoyah County
Photos taken 2010