Van Wert County is named for Isaac Van Wart who was a captor of the spy John Andre during the American Civil War.
Surrounding County Courthouses:
N – Paulding County
Created: April 1, 1820
Van Wert 1820 – present
County Courthouse – Van Wert
Location: 121 East Main Street / Court Street
Built: 1875 – 1877
Architect: Thomas J Tolan & Son of Delphos
Contractor: E W Wilson
Description: The building faces south and is a three story red colored brick and stone structure. The south front has a large projecting square red colored brick tower with arched entrance on the first story and rising to a high dome with cupola at the top. On the east and west are smaller square towers with domes. There is a mansard roof.
See: Ohio Court of Appeals – Lima ( 3rd Appellate District )
County Courthouse - Van Wert
Photos taken 2011