Tuscarawas County

US States / O-U / Ohio / Tuscarawas County
Tuscarawas

Tuscarawas County is named for the Tuscarawas Native American tribe.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Stark County

E – Carroll County and Harrison County 

S – Guernsey County 

W – Coshocton County and Holmes County

 

Created:  March 15, 1808                       Map of Ohio highlighting Tuscarawas County

County Seat:

New Philadelphia  1808 – present

 

County Courthouse – New Philadelphia  

 

Location:  125 East High Street / North Broadway Street

Built:  1882 – 1884

Style:  Classical Revival

Architect:  Thomas S Boyd

Contractor:  T B Townsend of Zanesville

 

Description:  The building faces south and is a three story buff colored sandstone structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of New Philadelphia. The south front has a large arched entrance on the first story with Corinthian columns. On the center of the roof is a large dome with clock, green colored roof and small cupola at the top with eagle statue. In the interior are wood trim, ceramic tile floors and high ceilings. The walls are painted in a Victorian color scheme. In the center is a rotunda containing murals depicting historical scenes. The courtroom has a canvas mural depicting Lady Justice complete with sword and scales. The building houses the County Court of Common Pleas – Juvenile and Probate Divisions. The building was renovated 1n 1995. The architect was Fisk and Associates Architects Inc. and the contractor was Stanley Miller Construction Company.

 

See:  Ohio Court of Appeals – Canton ( 5th Appellate District )

 

County Office Building – New Philadelphia  

 

1275t11

 

Location:  125 East High Street / North Broadway Street

Built:  1988 – 1990

Style:  Modern Classical Revival

Architect:  Marr Knapp Crawfis Associates Inc.

Contractor:  R G Smith Company

 

Description:  The building faces west and is a two story buff sandstone and concrete structure. .The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of New Philadelphia on the east side of the courthouse. The west front has a central portico with four columns on the second story with wide pediment above. The building houses the County Court of Common Pleas – General Division. 

 

History:  The county was created in 1808 and New Philadelphia was selected as the county seat. The first courts were held in a local tavern. The first courthouse was a two story log structure built by Peter Minnich in 1808 at a cost of $1,500. The second courthouse was a two story structure built from 1818 to 1825 at a cost of $7,468 with courtroom on the first story. The courthouse was renovated in 1837 after fire damage. The third and present courthouse was constructed in 1882 to 1884 at a cost of $98,860. The County Office Building was constructed in 1988 to 1990.

 

 

1255t11

County Courthouse - New Philadelphia

 

 

1257t11

 

 

1258t11

 

 

1259t11

 

 

1260t11

 

 

1262t11

 

 

1263t11

 

 

1267t11

 

 

1268t11

 

 

1269t11

 

 

1270t11

 

 

1271t11

 

 

1272t11

 

 

1273t11

 

 

1265t11

 

 

1274t11

 

 

1276t11

County Office Building - New Philadelphia

 

 

1277t11

 

 

1278t11

 

 

1254t11

Photos taken 2011