Portage County is named for the Native America word “portage” meaning “to carry goods around”.
Created: June 7, 1807
Ravenna 1807 – present
County Courthouse – Ravenna
Location: 203 West Main Street / East Maple Street
Built: 1959 – 1960
Architect: C G Kistler of Kent
Contractor: The W B Gibson Company of Warren
Description: The building faces north and is a two story glass and concrete structure. The north front has a large portico supported by pillars with a large center opening. The recessed entrance and walls are glass. There are vertical panels between the first and second story windows. The roof line is flat. The building was renovated in 2001 and the front portico as added.
Note: The present courthouse replaced the 1881 courthouse designed by Samuel W Lane and built by P B Carpenter.
N – Geauga County
W – Summit County
Photos taken 2010