Pike County

US States / O-U / Ohio / Pike County
2176O15

Pike County is named for Zebulon M Pike, who was an officer during the American Revolutionary War and who discovered Pikes Peak in 1806.

 

Created:  February 1, 1815

County Seat:

Piketon    1815 – 1861

Waverly  1861 – present

 

County Courthouse – Waverly

 

Location:  100 East 2nd Street / North Market Street

Built:  1865 – 1866

Style:  Italianate

Architect:  Pike County Committee

Contractor:  James Emmitt.

 

Description:  The building faces northwest and is a three story red colored brick structure. The building is “T” shaped. The northwest front has a central entrance on the first story. Brick pilasters rise to the top of the third story with an arch at the center with large arched window. The roof has gable ends with square white colored cupola with gold colored dome towards the front. The two story south wing has large arches and high windows. In 1909, a three story addition and small rooftop cupola were added on the northwest side. The architect was Desjardins & Sheblessy of Cincinnati and the contractor was David Armbrust of Waverly.

 

 

Note:  James Emmitt promised to build the courthouse if the county seat was moved to Waverly. When the courthouse was not built, Piketon petioned to have the county seat returned. The courthouse was then built and deeded to the county in 1866.

 

County Government Center – Waverly

 

586k18

 

Location:  230 Waverly Plaza / East 2nd Street

Built:  Unknown

Style:  Modern Shopping Center

Architect:  McCarty Associates ( conversion )

Contractor:  Dursco Construction ( conversion )

 

Description:  The building faces west and is a one story buff colored brick and concrete structure. The building was formerly a Kmart Shopping Center and was converted in 2001 to house the court and county offices.The west front has a central entrance with recessed porch. The roof line is flat. The building is named as the Pike County Government Center. 

 

Old County Courthouse – Piketon

 

599k18

 

Location:  113 North Market Street / Main Street

Built:  1817 – 1819

Style:  Federal

Architect:  Unknown

Contractor:  Unknown

 

Description:  The building faces north and is a two story red colored brick structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the heritage park and rectangular with a hipped roof. There is a central entrance on the north front. The building served as the courthouse until 1861 when the county seat was moved to Waverly.

 

Courthouses: 

N – Ross County

E – Jackson County

S – Scioto County and Adams County

W – Highland County

 

 

 

2174o15

 

 

2175o15

 

 

2177o15

 

 

2178o15

 

 

2179o15

 

 

2180o15

 

 

2181o15

 

 

2182o15

 

 

575k18

 

 

576k18

 

 

577k18

 

 

578k18

 

 

579k18

 

 

580k18

 

 

581k18

Statue of James Emmitt

 

 

582k18

 Courthouse picture before 1909 addition

 

 

584k18

 

 

585k18

 

 

2173o15

 

 

586k18_0

County Government Center

 

 

587k18

 

 

588k18

 

 

591k18

 

 

592k18

 

 

593k18

 

 

594k18

 

 

596k18

Old County Courthouse – Piketon

 

 

598k18

 

 

602k18

 

 

601k18

 

 

603k18

 

 

597k18

Photos taken 2015 and 2018