Ohio Supreme Court

US States / O-U / Ohio / Ohio Supreme Court
0723O15

Columbus

Location:  65 South Front Street / State Street

Built:  1930 – 1933

Style:  Moderne / Art Deco

Architect:  Harry Hake of Cincinnati

Contractor:   Local non union labor

 

Description:  The building faces east and is a high fourteen story structure. The building is named the Thomas J Moyer Ohio Judicial Center. The building was the Ohio Departments Building until 2004. Completed in 1932, there was a natural gas explosition and the building was repaired and opened in 1933. From 2001 to 2004, the building was renovated. The architect was Schooley Caldwell Associates of Columbia and the contractor was Messer Construction Company. Construction involved a complete renovation of the Grand Concourse and the original hearing rooms. The building is located on landscaped grounds with the Scoito River along the west side. The building is constructed with steel and reinforced concrete and is faced with Georgia marble. There is Art Deco artwoork symbolizing the history, natural resources, industries, and achievements of Ohio and its people. The building is luxuriously decorated with metals, tile, colored mosaics, bas-relief sculpture, and murals, reflecting the talent and techniques of numerous artists.  On the ground story is the largest hearing room which accommodates the Supreme Court Chamber. There are hearing rooms at the north and south ends. At the north side of the eighteen story is the Law Library.

 

 

 

0716o15

 

 

0717o15

 

 

0722o15

 

 

0731o15

 

 

0740o15

 

 

0741o15

 

 

0733o15

 

 

464k18

Supreme Court Chamber entrance

 

 

453k18

Supreme Court Chamber

 

 

454k18

 

 

455k18

 

 

456k18

 

 

458k18

 

 

459k18

 

 

460k18

 

 

461k18

 

 

462k18

 

 

463k18

 

 

445k18

 

 

446k18

North Hearing Room

 

 

448k18

 

 

449k18

 

 

451k18

 

 

452k18

 

 

465k18

South Hearing Room

 

 

466k18

 

 

467k18

 

 

468k18

 

 

469k18

 

 

471k18

 

 

473k18

Law Library

 

 

474k18

Photos taken 2015 and 2018