Mahoning County is named for the Indian word “Mahonink” which means “at the salt lick” or from “Mahoni” which means “salt lick”.
Surrounding County Courthouses:
N – Trumbull County
E – Lawrence County, Pennsylvania
Created: February 16, 1846
Canfield 1846 – 1875
Youngstown 1875 – present
County Courthouse – Youngstown
Location: 120 Market Street / West Front Street
Built: 1908 – 1910
Style: Classical Revival
Architect: Charles F Owsley
Contractor: Caldwell & Drake Construction of Columbus, Indiana
Description: The building faces north and is a four story gray colored stone and concrete structure. The building is located in the center of Youngstown. The central section has three arched entrances with six tall Doric columns rising to the top of the fourth story with a protruding cornice and wide stone riser with statue on the top. A concrete balustrade circles the roofline. The first story windows are arched. The building has terra cotta, marble and Honduran mahogany. In the interior there is a large rectangular atrium with glazed art glass skylight at the roof. There is an expansive marble lobby floor with twelve marble columns. Two grand marble staircases border the atrium. Mahogny wood work and six foot high marble wainscoting are located in the interior and stairway landings feature paintings symbolic of agriculture, manufacturing and industries. The courtrooms contain murals. The building houses the County Court of Common Pleas – General, Domestic Relations and Probate Divisions. The building was restored from 1985 to 1991. The architect was Bob A Mastriana of 4M Group.
Note: The architect Charles F Owsley was the son of Charles H Owsley who designed the 1876 courthouse.
See: The contractor, Caldwell & Drake Construction of Columbus, Indiana also constructed courthouses in Boone County, Monroe County, Putnam County and Starke County; in Ohio in Ottawa County; in Pennsylvania in Somerset County, and in West Virginia in Wetzel County and Wood County.
History: The county was created in 1846 and Canfield was selected as the county seat. The first courthouse was a two story red colored brick structure built in 1847 to 1848 with an addition added in 1862 and is still standing. The county seat was moved to Youngstown in 1875. The second courthouse was a High Victorian style structure designed by Charles H Owsley and built by P Ross Berry in 1876 at the corner of Wick Avenue and Wood Street. The third and present courthouse was constructed in 1908 to 1910 at a cost of $1,904,424.
See: The Ohio Court of Appeals – Youngstown ( 7th Appellarte District ) is located in the county.
Old County Courthouse – Canfield
Location: 7 Court Street / South Broad Street
Built: 1846 – 1847
Style: Greek Revival / Italianate
Description: The building faces north and is a two story red colored brick and wood structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Canfield. The north front has a central entrance on the first story with fan-light above. A white colored pediment rises to the hipped roof with square white colored open cupola with dome top. The Italianate style wing was constructed on the west side in 1862. The building houses offices.
County Courthouse – Youngstown
Photos taken 2006 and 2015