Logan County is named for Benjamin Logan, who was a general who fought the Indians in the region.
Created: March 1, 1818
Bellefontaine 1818 – present
County Courthouse – Bellefontaine
Location: 101 South Main Street / East Court Street
Built: 1870 – 1871
Style: Franco-Italian and Second Empire
Architect: Alexander Koehler of Cleveland
Contractor: Alexander Koehler of Cleveland
Description: The building faces east and is a two story brown colored sandstone structure. The east front has a protruding square tower with entrance arch on the first story, small iron balcony above with two arched windows on the second story. Above is a large statue in a niche with arch window on either side and rising to a white colored clock tower. The tower is cased with galvanized iron ornamented to the style of the building. There is a mansard roof. The building is being restored in 2015 to 2018. The architect is Hardlines Designs of Columbus and the contractor is Midstate Contractors Inc.
Note: The cost of construction was $105,398 and Alexander Koehler of Cleveland supervised the construction by the following trades:
Mason Work, except cut stone work (W W Robertson – Sidney, Ohio) – 28,168.80
Cut Stone Work (Weber & Sohman – Dayton, Ohio) – 20,000.00
Carpenter Work, Tiling, Clock & Bell (Harwood & Thomas – Cincinnati, Ohio) – $13,400.00
Galvanized Iron, Tin Work & Slating (W F Gebhart – Dayton, Ohio) – $7,694.60
Wrought Iron & Cast Iron Work (C S Rankin & Company – Cincinnati, Ohio) – $23,000.00
Painting & Glazing (Wiseman & Hayr – Cleveland, Ohio) – $5,132.69
Heating & Ventilation (Peter Martin – Cincinnati, Ohio) – $6,507.80
Plumbing & Gas Fitting (Thomas H Cosby – Cleveland, Ohio) – $1,494.19
Temporary County Courthouse – Bellefontaine
Location: 140 North Main Street / East Sandusky Avenue
Built: 1903 – 1905
Architect: William Kauffman of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Contractor: Buckeye Churn Company
Description: The building faces west and is a one story buff colored brick, stone and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds and the east front has a projecting center section with two columns, recessed porch and decorated pediment at the roof line. The trim is Indians Bedford limestone and the roof is hipped. The courtrooms are located on the west side of the main floor. The building was constructed as a Carnegie Library and presently serves as the courthouse until the old courthouse is restored. An addition was constructed in 1978. The architect was Wayne A Wolford of Bellefontaine and the contractor was Thomas & Marker Construction of Bellefontaine.
Note: The cost of construction was $11,720.
E – Union County
S – Champaign County
Temporary County Courthouse
Photos taken 2006, 2015 and 2018