Lawrence County is named for James Lawrence, who was a naval hero during the War of 1812.
Created: December 21, 1815
Burlington 1815 – 1851
Ironton 1851 – present
County Courthouse – Ironton
Location: 111 South 4th Street / Center Street
Built: 1907 – 1908
Style: Greek Revival and Beaux Arts
Architect: Richards McCarty and Bulford
Contractor: J H G Unkeffr and Company
Description: The building faces southwest and is a three story structure. The building stands in courthouse square on a hill facing the downtown and the Ohio River. The southwest front has three rectangular openings at the recessed entrances on the first story with small pediments above. Four columns rise from the second story to a wide pediment at the top of the third story. On the center of the roof is a large dome with green roof. On the northeast side is the Lawrence County Government Center which houses the courts.
County Government Center – Ironton
Location: 110 South 5th Street / Center Street
Built: 1973 – 1974
Architect: Robert Dalton
Contractor: Adkins Construction Company
Description: The building faces northeast and is a four story concrete and glass structure. The northeast front has an overhang with recessed first story. The second to fourth stories have glass panels. There are no windows on the east and west sides. The roof line is flat. The building contains the courtrooms. The courthouse is along the southwest side.
N – Jackson County
E – Gallia County
Photos taken 2012