Lake County is named for Lake Erie as the county borders the lake.
Created: March 6, 1840
Painesville 1840 – present
County Courthouse – Painesville
Location: 47 North Park Place / Liberty Street
Built: 1909 – 1910
Style: Classical Revival
Architect: John Milton Dyer of Cleveland
Contractor: George W Carmichael & Company
Description: The building faces southeast and is a two story red colored brick and gray sandstone structure. The south front has a large portico supported by four large stone columns rising to a wide header with a high square stone clock tower above. At the top is a high green dome with wing spread eagle. The first story entrance has a stone pediment above the stone trimmed doorway. The wide cornice runs below the flat roof line.
Note: The architect John Milton Dyer of Cleveland and the contractor George W Carmichael and Company also designed and constructed the courthouse in Summit County.
Old County Courthouse – Painesville
Location: 7 Richmond Street / Mentor Avenue
Built: 1840 – 1841
Style: Greek Revival
Architect: Jonathan Goldsmith
Contractor: Harvey Woodworth
Description: The building faces east and is a two story red colored brick structure. The building served as the courthouse until 1909 and is now the Painesville City Hall..
County Administration – Painesville
Location: 105 Main Street / North St. Clair Street
Built: 1966 – 1968
Description: The building faces south and is a one story red colored brick structure. At the west side is a higher five story building which forms part of the H T Nolan Admninistration Center.
N – Lake Erie and Ontario, Canada
E – Ashtabula County
W – Cuyahoga County
Photos taken 2010