Jefferson County is named for Thomas Jefferson, who was President of the United States from 1801 to 1809.
Created: July 29, 1797
Steubenville 1797 – present
County Courthouse – Steubenville
Location: 301 Market Street / North 3rd Street
Built: 1871 – 1874
Architect: Charles Wallace Heard & Walter Blythe
Contractor: Myles, Beaver & Butt
Description: The building faces south and is a five story buff colored sandstone structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds. The south front has a large high portico with four columns rising from the second story to a pediment at the roof line with a gold colored Lady Justice at the top. The first story entrance is arched. The windows are arched with hood-moulds and keystones. The roof line is flat. The building was remodeled in 1950.
S – Belmont County
Photos taken 2011 and 2015