Hancock County is named for John Hancock, who was a signer of the Declaration of Independence.
Created: April 1, 1820
Findlay 1820 – present
County Courthouse – Findlay
Location: 300 South Main Street / West Main Cross Street
Built: 1886 – 1888
Style: Second Empire and Victorian
Architect: Frank Weary and George Washington Cramer
Contractor: W H Campfield of Findlay
Description: The building faces east and is a two story brown colored sandstone structure. The east front has a one story portico with balcony. On the second story is a large arched window. Above are the statues of Justice, Law and Mercy. The north and south sections have center sections that rise to a peak above the roof line. On the center of the roof is a square stone clock tower with dome and Statue of John Hancock at the top.
Old County Courthouse – Findlay
Location: 819 Park Street / East Lima Street
Built: 1833 – 1834
Architect: William Taylor, Frederick Henderson and Jonathan Parker.
Contractor: William Taylor, Frederick Henderson and Jonathan Parker.
Description: The building faces west and is a two story wood frame structure. The building was moved to this site. The rectangular shaped building is located on landscaped grounds and is now a residence. There is a central entrance and the roof is hipped.
Note: The building was the first courthouse and was located at the southwest corner of Main Street and Putnam ( Crawford ) Street. The cost of construction was $700 and the plaster work was completed by Parlee Carlin.
N – Wood County
S – Hardin County
Photos taken 2011