Guernsey County is named for the island of Guernsey in the English Channel and from where the settlers came.
Created: March 1, 1810
Cambridge 1810 – present
County Courthouse – Cambridge
Location: 801 Wheeling Avenue / North 8th Street
Built: 1881 – 1883
Style: Second Empire
Architect: Joseph Warren Yost of Cleveland
Contractor: T B Townsend of Zanesville
Description: The building faces south and is a two story buff colored fine sandstone structure. The south front has a one story portico supported by six columns rising to a balcony on the second story. Vertical pilasters rise to small pediments with a large half pediment above at the roof line. At the top of the half pediment is a statue of Lady Justice. The corners of the building have sque towers rising to mansard roofs. On the center of the roof is a large square clock tower rising to a dome with lantern at the top.
S – Noble County
Photos taken 2011