Geauga County

US States / O-U / Ohio / Geauga County
Geauga

Geauga County is named for the Native American word “sheauga sepe” meaning “raccoon”.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Lake County

E – Ashtabula County and Trumbull County

S – Portage County

W – Cuyahoga County

 

Created:  March 1, 1806                         Map of Ohio highlighting Geauga County

County Seat:

New Market   1806 – 1807

Chardon        1807 – present

 

County Courthouse – Chardon 

 

Location:  100 Short Court Street / Main Street

Built:  1869 – 1870

Style:  High Victorian Italianate

Architect:  Joseph Ireland of Cleveland

Contractor:  Leander Jason Randall and Carpenter and Mathews of Meadville, Pennsylvania

 

Description:  The building faces south and is a two story red colored brick and stone structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds of the Courthouse Square in the center of Chardon. The south front has a high square red colored brick tower rising to an open cupola with dome and clock at the top. The second story windows are long and arched. There is stone trim at the corners. The building houses the County Court of Common Pleas. The courthouse was renovated in 1977.

 

County Courthouse Annex – Chardon 

 

2469k10

 

Location:  231 Main Street / Short Court Street

Built:  1874 – 1875

Style:  High Victorian Italianate

Architect:  Unknown

Contractor:  Unknown

 

Description:  The building faces east and is a two story red colored brick and concrete structure. The rectangular shaped building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Chardon. The building was constructed as the Memorial Hall. There is a large arched window on the third story of the south section. The roof line is flat. The building houses the County Court of Common Pleas – Probate and Juvenile Divisions. 

 

See:  Ohio Court of Appeals – Warren ( 11th Appellate District )

 

History:  The county was created in 1806 and New Market was selected as the county seat. The first courthouse was built. The county seat was moved to Chardon in 1807 and the second courthouse a one room log structure was built in 1807 to 1808. The third courthouse was a brick structure designed by Samuel King and built in 1813 at a cost of $750. The fourth courthouse was a two story brick structure built in 1826. The courthouse burned in 1865. The fifth and present courthouse was constructed in 1869 to 1870 at a cost of $88,862.

 

 

2460k10

County Courthouse - Chardon

 

 

2464k10

 

 

2463k10

 

 

2466k10

 

 

2462k10

 

 

2468k10

 

 

2467k10

 

 

2470k10

County Courthouse Annex – Chardon

 

 

2459k10

Photos taken 2010