Fulton County

US States / O-U / Ohio / Fulton County
Fulton

Fulton County is named for Robert Fulton, who was the inventor of the steamboat.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Hillsdale County, Michigan and Lenawee County, Michigan

E – Lucas County

S – Henry County

W – Williams County

 

Created:  April 1, 1850                            Map of Ohio highlighting Fulton County

County Seat:

Ottokee     1850 – 1869

Wauseon  1869 – present

 

County Courthouse – Wauseon

 

Location:  210 South Fulton Street / West Chestnut Street

Built:  1871 – 1872

Style:  Italianate

Architect:  C C Miller

Contractor:  Alexander Voss and H B Bensman

 

Description:  The building faces east and is a two story red colored brick structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Wauseon. The east front has a high square red colored brick clock tower with arched entrance on the first story, small balcony on the second story and balustrade at the top of the tower. The main building is recessed and has arched windows. The large courtroom which contains murals of intersections between Indians and Americans and a dome with stained glass.is located on the second story. The building houses the County Court of Common Pleas and County Court of Common Pleas – Probate and Juvenile Divisions. The building was renovated in 2018. The contractor was Mosser Construction Inc.

 

County Court – Western District – Wauseon

 

0397t11

 

Location:  224 South Fulton Street / West Chestnut Street

Built:  1989 – 1990

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Unknown

Contractor:  Unknown

 

Description:  The building faces east and is a one story buff colored brick structure.  The building has a sloped roof and is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Wauseon on the south side of the courthouse. The east front has a portico at the entrance. The roof is hipped. The building contains the County Court – Western District. 

 

History:  The county was created in 1850 and Ottokee was selected as the county seat. The first courts were held in the home of Robert Howard. The first courthouse was a two story wood frame structure built in 1851. The courthouse burned in 1864. The second courthouse was a brick structure in 1865. The county seat was moved to Wauseon in 1869. The third and present courthouse was built in 1872 at a cost of $45,722.

 

See:  Ohio Court of Appeals – Toledo  ( 6th Appellate District )

 

County Administration Building – Wauseon

 

0400t11

 

Location:  152 South Fulton Street / West Chestnut Street

Built:  2000 – 2001

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Finkbeiner, Pettis and Strout, Inc.

Contractor:  Mosser Construction, Inc.

 

Description:  The building faces west and is a two story red colored brick structure. The building is located in the center of Wauseon on the north side of the courthouse. The west front has a central recessed entrance. The eave along the roof line extends from the building. There is stone trim on the corners of the building. The roof line is flat.

 

 

0391t11

County Courthouse - Wauseon

 

 

0393t11

 

 

0394t11

 

 

0396t11

 

 

272k18

 

 

271k18

 

 

273k18

 

 

274k18

 

 

275k18

 

 

276k18

 

 

277k18

 

 

278k18

 

 

279k18

 

 

280k18

 

 

281k18

 

 

282k18

 

 

283k18

 

 

285k18

County Courthouse Annex - Wauseon

 

 

284k18

 

 

0401t11

County Administration Building - Wauseon

 

 

289k18

 

 

291k18

 

 

292k18

 

 

0402t11

Photos taken 2011 and 2018