Defiance County is named for Fort Defiance which was built by Anthony Wayne.
Created: April 7, 1845
Defiance 1845 – present
County Courthouse – Defiance
Location: 221 Clinton Street / Jefferson Avenue
Built: 1870 – 1871
Style: Italianate and Second Empire
Architect: J C Johnson of Fremont
Contractor: Chris Boseker of Fort Wayne, Indiana
Description: The building faces west and is a three story red brick and stone structure. The west front has an arch at the first story entrance. The center section projects slightly from the main building as do the the north and south corner sections. The third story is recessed. The building has stone trim along the corners. The roof line is flat.
N – Williams County
E – Henry County
Photos taken 2010